Saturday, August 30, 2008

Chicken Fricassee with Vegetables - Darby

We loved this one. My notes on it say to make more sauce and make the onions nice and small. I served this over mashed potatoes (with the peels on).

The only real unusual ingredient is the spice Tarragon. I picked some up just for this recipie, and after doing so, my sister in law Laura mentioned how much she loves cooking with Tarragon! I also couldn't find any leeks at the store, don't know why, so I made it without. Also, since there are only 2 of us I only cooked 3 chicken breasts.

For each meal I cook I try to plan on one extra portion and when I'm plating our meals (I've become a fan of plating our meals so everyone takes a little of everything) I put one portion right into a set of tupperware for Jonathan to take the next day. It's worked out really well and Jonathan been able to take yummy filling meals to work most every day!



Ingredients

4 to 6 boneless chicken breast halves
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
4 carrots, cut in 2" pieces
2 onions, halved and thickly sliced
3 leeks, white part only, washed and chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 10-ounce package frozen peas, thawed


Directions

Wash chicken breasts and pat dry. Set aside. Saute minced garlic in butter for a minute, then add flour and cook, stirring, until smooth. Pour in broth (you may use 1/4 cup of sherry in place of some of the broth), the thyme and tarragon, and stir until thickened. Layer in the Crock Pot the onions, carrots, chicken, then leeks; pour sauce over all. Add bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours (high: 3 to 5). If cooking on low, change to high and stir in half and half and thawed peas. Cover and continue cooking on high another 15 minutes, or until peas are heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings. Discard bay leaf and serve with with sauce spooned over the chicken and vegetables.

No comments: