Saturday, August 30, 2008

Baked Potato Soup - Darby

Here's one we tried the other day. I was one meal short for the week, I can't remember what happened, but I had some potato's in the fridge so I looked up a potato soup recipe, thinking I could probably toss in a few veggies and give it some nutrients.

This the recipe I found. I'm surprised I even tried it, seeing as how everytime I've been offered it at a restaurant I've declined. So I whipped this up (it was a really fast meal), and make some cornbread as a side. We loved this soup and were so surprised at how much flavor it had for carrying the name, Baked Potato.

I only had half an onion and it was still great.

Here's where I found it. http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2008/01/12/hearty-baked-potato-soup-a-quick-and-frugal-recipe-for-january/


Hearty Baked Potato Soup

  • 3 large russet potatoes, cleaned, skins pierced 3-4 times with a fork
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 1 small yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 cups chicken broth (or one 14-ounce can)
  • 12 ounces evaporated milk (I use the fat-free kind)
  • 2 tsp seasoned salt (make sure you have this, makes all the difference)
  • Optional toppings: shredded cheese, diced ham or crumbled bacon, chives or scallions, Tabasco sauce, croutons

Microwave the potatoes 8-9 minutes until baked through. Set aside to cool slightly. Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium-high heat and add onion. Cook 6-7 minutes until softened. Add minced garlic and cook 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add flour and stir several minutes to make a thickened roux. Gradually stir in evaporated milk and broth. Scoop the pulp from one potato, mash it slightly and add to soup. Cook soup on medium to bring to a boil. Add seasoning salt (to taste). Dice the remaining two potatoes and empty skin of the third potato. Add to soup and heat through. Serve alone or topped with anything that sounds good to you.

No comments: